Wednesday, August 8, 2012

BDS Days 5-8 and WI Week 3

So the good news first, I was down 2.6 lbs. this week!  I feel good and happy and well on my way to reaching my first 5% goal.  This is where I have to be careful because it's about this time that I lose motivation and fall off the wagon.  However, I still feel motivated and I am convincing myself to not focus too much on the scale and more about my behaviors.  Theoretically, if I follow the WW plan every day, I will lose weight, so if I focus on doing that then the weight will fall off.

I've slacked on writing since my last post, but have been keeping up with the Beck Diet Solution.  So far  I haven't found any revolutionary information about weight loss that I didn't already know.  I think the biggest benefits so far have been to constantly remind myself daily of why I'm doing this and to learn to recognize sabotaging thoughts and behaviors and counteract them with a more positive helpful thought.

The biggest behaivor change that I didn't really realize so far was eating sitting down.  While I always eat my meals sitting down, I did not realize how much I sneak food in the kitchen whether it's one last bite of chicken from the pot, or a handful of chips from the pantry.  Every time I put something in my mouth that I eat standing up, I'm reminded of the fact that I probably don't need to be eating that and if it were that important I could sit down to eat it.  It's a learning process.  The other thing is to eat slowly and mindfully.  I've always been a faster eater and I am more conscious of the fact that I need to slow down and savor each bite.  I actually feel more full as a result which is preventing me from overeating.

All good things, I'm happy to report that I feel good and healthy and totally in control!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting how something as simple as sitting down to eat can change how we understand food! It's so important to focus not only what you eat, but why.

    Tony Robbins explains that a need for comfort and certainty is one of our basic human needs–so if you go home and know you can dissolve whatever issues you had during the day through eating, the need is met. However, as you noticed, we can get caught in an unhealthy cycle where we know what we’re doing isn’t helpful for weight loss, but keep doing it out of want for that comfort. Take a look at this video: http://bit.ly/MgbN9w It does a great job explaining our different needs and how those sorts of habits develop–and more importantly, how to stop the difference between what we know we should do and what we end up doing.

    ReplyDelete